History of DIET

DIET is situated in Palayampatti village of Aruppukottai block in Virudhunagar District.

"PalayampattiJameen" is the historical name of this village. During the regime of Raja Sethupathy of Ramanathapuram the army stayed in a village which has plenty of trees called 'Palai' and hence the name palayampatti.

DIET Palayampatti is situated in the palace of the Jammen, which has historical importance still the remnants of the palaces are seen in the campus.

In 1950, Government of Tamil Nadu acquired the palace and established a Government Basic Training school for women (GBTSW). Many of the rural population benefitted by the training school by enhancing the women literacy.

NPE 1986 insisted the establishment of DIET's in all the districts of the nation. Hence in 1989, Tamilnadu Government has selected 7 basic training schools in districts and upgraded them as DIET's as per the guidelines of MHRD, New Delhi.

After the up gradation by the G.O MS No: 1828/EDN.Dated:30.12.1989 the institute started the functioning as DIET from 25.01.1990 from the beginning. DIET had a lead role in establishing the quality education of Virudhunagar District.

DIET is situated at a distance of 7 km from Aruppukottai and 25 km from the district head quarter, Virudhunagar. Thoothukudi 'four way' Bye pass is running along the side of the Institute enable the teacher trainees to have a calm and congenial environment with the natures gift. DIET has required number of primary school in and around Palayampatti to have internship training.